For the Coating:
- Cacao butter, melted
- Raw cacao (powder)
- Sweetener of choice (maple syrup, honey, xylitol etc)
- Desiccated coconut
For the Filling:
- Soaked dates – dates soaked in boiling water for a few minutes
- 2 tbsp of Tahini
- Blend Walnuts until they reach the consistency of granules (think coarse sand).
- Add the strained dates and Tahini to the blender and blend until reasonably smooth. Set aside.
- Melt the raw cacao butter in a water bath. Add the raw cacao powder and sweetener to taste. Then stir in desiccated coconut.
- Roll the ‘Filling’ into balls using your hands. *Tip: wet your hands slightly to prevent it getting too sticky!
- Roll the balls in the ‘Coating’ until evenly coated and then sprinkle with any extra toppings/decorations that you might like to use (eg. sesame seeds, desiccated coconut, cacao powder).
- Place in fridge for approximately 20-30minutes to allow the chocolate coating to set.
Play around with ingredients and quantities to get the energy ball that best suits your tastes, eg. add figs if you would like a sweeter taste, add raw cacao powder to the main mixture for dark chocolate look and taste etc. Experiment and have fun with it!!!